WELCOME MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR

Welcome dear Film Freaks --- this is your Asylum.


As defined, an Asylum is a place of security and tranquility. If you are about the task of converting your talents into a career in Film, you have most assuredly come to the right place.


Please take note that everything here is given freely. These pages are not cluttered with any manner of Advertising Banners or Pop-Up’s, there are no Google Ad’s; any commercial site Links you find here are provided solely for their value to you as a resource. All are Direct Links to the site indicated, I do not profit in any way from your going to those sites from this page. You will quickly find that all of the information provided here is rock-solid, valuable information obtained through two years of extensive in-depth research and interviews with Industry Professionals; information and resources that will save you a vast amount of time, heartache and money if you apply what you learn here.


Come now - enjoy, employ, post your comments, email me with any of your thoughts or questions, Subscribe and be the first to receive fresh insights and updated information; and please, do expose this quality Blog to your friends and colleagues so that they too might take advantage of Film Freaks Asylum's rich and rewarding resources. And, please be aware that the humorist in me has given way to some occasional R-Rated banter.


The best of success to you; Rick Denny

3/23/09

BEWARE THE SCRIPT CONTEST CON JOB

I’m 53, grew up in Miami, Con Job Capital of the world, just behind New York. So, I’ve got a lot going for me keeps me from getting fucked standing upright.

I’m writing this now because I got a call this evening. Let me tell you first that I do a lot of research; a lot of fuck’n research. By the time I break into the business, I’ll have just short of a perfect handle on the Screenplay and Script Competition Scammers that seem to be out there in relatively large number.

The call; I got a call from a guy named Eddy. I researched Eddy best I could. Eddy is a Producer, not an Agent, he doesn’t do contests; a Producer. On his website he’s pictured with a highly respected, majorly famous Celebrity. Eddy was responding to an email I’d sent him, liked my lean to the point pitch. Politely; I said not interested to Eddy.

After a few minutes exchange Eddy told me that the way he operates, he take a %15 Commission on the sale of the Script, and that to retain his services I would have to give him a $600.oo advance; if he couldn’t sell the Script, he would refund my money.

Now; I’ll wait until you’re done laughing. I have a friend, also a man in his 50’s, wife and kids, the whole shmeel. He wants to be in the Music Biz, a Musician. He paid not one, but two guys, companies, whatever, each the sum of $1200.oo for a Music Production deal. --- See, you read that and thought, “How could anyone be so stupid?” But he’s just a regular hard working Joe, trying to make something happen for himself in an Industry he sadly knows nothing about. Though, that is his fault point of fact.

Listen to me FILM FREAKS.

The Talent doesn’t pay, the Talent gets paid. They pay you, never the other way around. As bad as I want my first break, I know the world of business and the ways of Scumbag Scammers to tell you, no matter what Eddy may have done with or for others in the past, his angle violated the basic principles of sound business practice.

Back to the issue of Screenplay/Script Competitions and Contests. Best I can tell, and I’ve been studying this out for many months now, there are only a hand full of Legit Script Competitions in America, the rest I wouldn’t give the time of day, let alone any of my money. Kiss that shit goodbye.

If you’re not going to take my advice on this point, please do take this advice before you send your printed pages, PDF’s and money to anyone. --- READ, READ, READ.

Study up on the Organization, the people who run the thing, if there really is a thing. Best you know, every Script goes into the furnace. One thing I have done with a number of Online Script Contests is send an email asking them who the Principles of the Company are; what their history in the Business is, what’s their Bio; and for the address to their physical place of business. Then, if they provide that (many never responded) I do further research to verify that the information is correct. I had one place give me an address that didn’t exist; called the regional Post Office in that city to discover the facts.


LISTEN CAREFULLY NOW

Unless you’re independently wealthy, work you a job, make all the cash you can, live lean and do everything in your power to physically get your ass down to some good Film Festivals and meet people in the business. Submit your Scripts into the established physical location Film Festivals that take such Submissions (I only know of 3 worth messing with), and go there in person. Few people win. But deals are known to happen at the festivals with Writers that haven’t won. But they were there. --- Between you and I, I’ll take a career over a dollar amount Trophy any time. I'm looking for the Golden Goose, not a single egg.



ATSA RAP

The only Script Competition not attached to a Film Festival that I have found to have any real merit is Scriptapalooza. There are others out there I’m certain are genuinely paying out the cash prizes they promise, but just don’t have the Industry attention and respect that Scriptapalooza possesses. Just Google Scriptapalooza and see how many articles are written about the President, Marc Andrushko; how many people in the business speak well of him and how competently he runs his competition. Do this, and you will learn a great deal more than what I’m sharing with you here.
Now, go,



KICCASS

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what's on your mind? Give me a shout.